Saturday, April 9, 2011

Truth. What is truth?

"What is truth, Claudia? Do you hear it, recognize it when it is spoken?"
"Yes, I do. Don't you?"
"How? Can you tell me?"
"If you will not hear the truth, no one can tell you."
"Truth... do you want to know what my truth is, Claudia? I've been putting down rebellions in this rotten outpost for eleven years. If I don't condemn this man I know Caiphas will start a rebellion. If I do condemn him, then his followers may. Either way, there will be bloodshed. Caeser has warned me, Claudia. Warned me twice. He swore that the next time the blood would be mine. That is my truth!"

This quote is from the Passion of the Christ. It's my favorite.

The discussion of truth intrigues me. I'm not really sure why. Really, what is truth? Can I hear it? Can I see it? Can I feel it? Some things in life I hear and I think..."that has to be truth." It goes right to my heart and pierces it. Other times truth can go unsaid...I just feel it. Truth scares me sometimes. I don't want to know what's real. I don't want to hear honest words. Why are lies so much more satisfying? Why are they the substitute for the truth? I make myself sick sometimes. I want people to be real and yet I don't want to be real with them. Granted I am very real with people in general. I'd be more quick to look and make my own judgements. My own truth. Not knowing the whole truth about them. When someone is real with me( for my own good), it hurts and I get upset because I know what they are telling me is truth.
If I know truth and want truth, why do I believe the lies inside? The ones that tell me I'm a misfit and I'll never belong anywhere. My insecurities, my fears, my failures.... Perhaps I really don't know what truth is. Some lies are the truth to some people. Is what I believe or think or feel, or want or reason truth or a lie? What if everything I grew up knowing, and thinking turned out to be a lie? But it was my truth.
Do we pass over truth because it's so trivial? I'm constantly in search for it. In people, in thoughts, in life... Becoming an adult is hard. Finding who I am is one thing, but finding the truth is another. And everything relies on it. On truth. If I don't know what the truth is, than what do I know? And who am I? And who are you? And what is life? And what do I believe in? And why?....endless questions...endless confusion. So tell me, what is truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment